Weather in the Mountains — A Guide for Our Couples | Nomad Weddings
A Guide For Our Couples

Weather in the Mountains

A short, honest guide to what we know about weather on alpine wedding days, how we plan for it, and what you can expect from us when conditions do not read exactly as forecast.

Please read this alongside your signed agreement. Clause 11.12 of our contract references this guide, and your booking confirms that you have read it.
Why This Matters

Alpine weddings are extraordinary because they are weather-dependent.

Landing at 1,800 metres, standing on a glacier, watching cloud break across Coromandel Peak — none of this would be possible if the mountains were predictable.

Queenstown sits at the edge of the Southern Alps, where weather can change in the space of a morning. Most of the time, this works in our favour. A flat winter forecast will sometimes deliver the cleanest light of the season. A pessimistic summer outlook clears an hour before the flight. We plan for that reality every day, and we have been doing it for years.

Around one in five of our couples experiences some form of weather-driven adjustment — a date change, a location substitution, or a ground-based alternative. This is part of what makes the outcomes extraordinary for the four who have their original day as planned. We want you to know this up front, so you are not surprised by it if it becomes your day.

The Four Outcomes

Every alpine wedding resolves into one of four possibilities.

Understanding the four makes the fifth much easier: our job on the day, which is to get you into the best of the four outcomes available.

1
Plan A · The Ideal Day

All landings proceed as scheduled.

Conditions hold, the pilot is comfortable, and we fly the landings you booked. Most of our couples get this. It is what the portfolio is made of.

2
Plan B · The Partial Day

Some landings proceed, others are substituted.

One or two of the planned landings are replaced with lower-altitude alternatives where cloud, wind, or visibility prevents the original site.

An example: if flights are safe and permitted to lift, but the desired peak is not reachable, the pilot may fly to an alternative peak of similar character. Lake Erskine covered by cloud does not mean a full reschedule. Instead, the pilot may fly to Lake Lochnagar or another ridge. If it is safe and permitted to fly, we fly, even if the original peak is not reachable. This is the fairest outcome for the helicopter operator who has blocked out their day for us, and the alternative peaks are still extraordinary in their own right.

3
Plan C · The Rescheduled Day

The full wedding day is moved to another date.

Where the forecast in the days leading up to the wedding strongly indicates that the day itself will be unflyable (wind, rain, low cloud across the entire region, aviation restrictions), we may recommend moving the wedding date. This decision is made in advance, typically 24 to 72 hours before, based on the best available forecast data.

The new date is selected from available options within your travel window and subject to vendor and helicopter operator availability. Where the forecast proves wrong and the original day turns out more favourable than expected, this does not invalidate the decision. Forecasting in alpine New Zealand is inherently uncertain, and the call is made in good faith on the information available at the time.

4
Plan D · The Grounded Day

No alpine landings; we proceed on the original day with a ground-based ceremony.

Cloud sits too low for any of the planned landings, and the pilot cannot safely put the helicopter down at altitude. The day proceeds, but alpine flight is not possible.

We pivot to a ground-based alternative such as Deer Park Heights (NZ$1,000 permit fee for elopements), Coronet Peak (no permit fee), or Moke Lake (no permit fee). The day still happens. The ceremony still happens. The photography and video still happens. The altitude is the only thing we lose.

How We Make The Call

Weather decisions are made progressively, not all at once.

The forecast 72 hours out tells us one thing. The cloud layer at 6am tells us another. The pilot’s read from the hangar tells us the last and most important thing. Here is how the process unfolds.

Three to Four Days Out

Forecast monitoring begins

Tomomi starts tracking forecast data across multiple models. If patterns are shifting meaningfully, we let you know early so your expectations track ours.

Forty-Eight Hours Out

Date decisions, if needed

If the forecast strongly favours a different day within your travel window, we may recommend moving the date. This recommendation is made on the best information available, and your signed agreement gives us discretion to make this call.

Morning Of

The pilot’s assessment

The final go/no-go on alpine landings is made at the hangar, where cloud and visibility can be read in real time. This happens while you are in hair and makeup, because the timing of wedding-day prep cannot wait for the pilot’s read.

On The Day

In-flight adjustments

The pilot may also need to modify the flight once airborne if conditions at an individual landing are unsafe. This is not a failure of planning. It is what responsible alpine operation looks like.

On A Weather-Affected Day

Your wedding day is not defined by the altitude you stood at.

We want to be very clear about what a weather-affected day still contains. Whatever the conditions, these remain yours:

What you still receive on a weather-affected day

Every element of your wedding other than the specific alpine landings is independent of weather. The ceremony itself, the photography, the film, the celebrant, the flowers, the hair and makeup — all of it happens regardless of cloud.

  • Your ceremony, performed by a registered celebrant. The vows, the legal formalities, the ring exchange. The marriage itself is unaffected by weather.
  • Three and a half hours of wedding photography. Our photographers work the day they are given, whether that is alpine, ground-based, or a mix. The results are still ours to be proud of.
  • Videography, where booked. Your highlight film reflects the day you had, told cinematically, at the quality you booked us for.
  • Hair, makeup, flowers, and ground transport. Every vendor who was booked still shows up. None of this is weather-contingent.
  • Our team’s full care and attention. We have been through weather-affected days many times. The atmosphere on the day is our responsibility, and we take it seriously. Couples often tell us their grounded day still felt wonderful. We work very hard to make that true.
Costs & Refunds, In Plain Language

What you pay and what comes back, on a weather-affected day.

The full refund and cost structure is set out in clause 11 of your signed agreement. Here is the short version.

Helicopter landings that did not proceed
Refunded
We refund the helicopter portion for any planned landings that were not flown. Evidence of non-recoverable aviation costs is available on request.
Alternative locations chosen on the day
Cost variation
Alternatives may cost more or less than the original plan depending on the flight distance and venue selected. A closer landing such as the Remarkables may reduce the flight cost, while a more distant landing may increase it. Ground-based venues vary: Deer Park Heights adds approximately NZ$1,000 in permit fees, while Coronet Peak and Moke Lake have no permit fee. Any variation is calculated from your original package and confirmed in writing before you accept the alternative.
Services already delivered
Not refundable
Planning, coordination, photography, videography, celebrant, hair and makeup, flowers, and ground transport are not refunded on weather-affected days because they were delivered.
If your travel window cannot accommodate a postponement
Limited refund only
Your travel arrangements are your responsibility. Where your travel window does not allow a Nomad-proposed new date, your options are to proceed with a ground-based alternative on the original date, or to treat the booking as cancelled. In the case of cancellation, the non-refundable deposit, committed vendor costs, helicopter non-recoverable fees, and our team’s planning and coordination work already performed are all retained by Nomad. The refund, if any, is limited to amounts not already spent or earned. We strongly recommend travel insurance to cover this scenario.

This is why we strongly recommend travel insurance that covers weather-related postponement and the full value of your trip. We are not able to insure your flights, accommodation, or leave arrangements — your insurer is.

Our Promise

We will always give you an honest day.

We will always tell you what we know, when we know it, and we will always make the best call we can with the information in front of us. We will not pretend a forecast is better than it is to save you worry. We will not pretend a day was easy when it was difficult.

In return, we ask that you trust the process we have refined over years of alpine weddings, and know that when the mountains change the plan, we are working harder than anyone to make sure the day still feels like yours.

The team at Nomad Weddings